Sunday, November 27, 2011

If God Will Send His Angels

My Stephen minister from church and I met and went over "Those Three Words" yesterday. She recognized the importance and validity of having my friends and family describe me as they saw me, and didn't think it was an exercise in self-absorption whatsoever. Those who participated in the list didn't think so, either. Everyone understood that I was going through a bit of a self-esteem crisis and that my ex-boyfriend was at the forefront of my thoughts recently, and all the negativity he brought to my conscience that I was programmed to believe about myself. "YOU are bipolar. You behaved in such-and-such a way, but that was before you were medicated..." he'd say. "When you were still drinking, you blah blah blah...." He defined me by my illnesses and neuroses and failed to see me as a person with a heart and soul, too self-absorbed himself to appreciate how hurtful his blanket statements were. And I believed them all. Gaslighting.

My minister read through that list, and I told her about the Biblical list my dear friend Lorri had sent me to read over. My minister encouraged me to replace the "I am" with "Annie is." So she emailed me that this morning, and I'm printing that one out too to remind myself of all that I am that's good and positive and lovable and worthy.

Everything that I was worried about with regard to "The Last Waltz" got worked out between my friend and I. Our seemingly precarious situation that left me with self-doubt and worry and frantic projection turned out not to be the case. He's not bringing his daughter, is more than happy to accompany me just the two of us, and we're looking forward to having a fabulous time. So naysayers be damned!

Annie is God's treasure (1 Peter 2:9-10)
Annie is dearly loved (Colossians 3:12)
Annie is being transformed (2 Corinthians 3:18)
Annie is a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
Annie is forgiven (Ephesians 1:6-8)
Annie is an heir of God (Romans 8:17)
Annie is a friend of God (John 15:15)
Annie is free (Romans 6:16-18; 8:1-2)
Annie is capable (Philippians 4:13)
Annie is spiritually alive (Ephesians 2:5)
Annie is God's workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)
Annie is welcome in God's presence (Ephesians 2:18, Hebrews 4:14-16)
Annie is sheltered and protected in God (Colossians 3:3)
Annie is valuable to God (1 Corinthians 6:20)
Annie is a member of God's family (Ephesians 2:19; 1 John 3:1-2)
Annie is chosen for success (John 15:16)
Annie is complete (Colossians 2:9-10)
Annie is secure (Romans 8:31-39)
Annie is confident (Philippians 1:6)
Annie is gifted with power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)


2 comments:

Lorri said...

May the list remind you often of just how loved you are!

The Offbeat Drummer said...

Lorri, that list was invaluable to me. I read it every day. My Stephen minister told me to replace the "I am" with "Annie is." Thank you so, so much for taking the time to send it to me. Love you!