Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oh, the Irony.

Oh, the Irony.
Current mood: calm
Category: Religion and Philosophy

How many stories are there in The Bible?

Lots. Lots and lots. And lots.

Take your pick: there’s the Old Testament, the New Testament, the kooky extra books the Catholics insert...you see my point.

Luke was home with me this past weekend, and had some trouble getting to sleep on Friday night. I’d put him to bed at a reasonable hour (for him on a weekend, anyway) around 10 pm, but he stayed up watching videos in his room for a while I was trying to relax to a nice mind-numbing episode of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" about murdered prostitutes or something cheery like that.

Around 11:30 pm, he emerged from his room clutching a Bible. "I want to read you a Bible story, Mommy." "Maybe in the morning, Luke, you NEED to go to SLEEP now."

"What story did you pick out, incidentally, Luke?" I asked, as he meandered back to his bedroom.

"The Wedding at Cana," he said. "Night, night."

Hang on a second. Of all the anecdotes in the Bible, my 8-year old wants to regale the one about Jesus turning water into jugs of WINE to his recovering alcoholic mother?

Thankfully, God, Luke and I all have a sense of humor about such things.

No comments: