Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I Still Appreciate Steven Drozd: The 51st Birthday Edition

Yippee! This talented young genius man is celebrating a birthday today.


Thank you for, like, saving me the extensive research required to remember the name of the bar on "Three's Company" after I offer you improbable suggestions as to what to do in London late at night after a show. 


And thank you for answering that whole "What's with Guys and women's high heel shoes?" crisis at like 3am Brazil time (sorry). 

Thank you for being one of the only people I can confab genuinely about polkas being fun, nostalgic and in need of a reboot. Don't forget that Billy Joel's "Pressure" is something to work on.

Thank you for the tip on how to use paper towels to dampen the tone of my drums. Worked like a charm. Who else has 2 brotherly multinstrumentalist men of the same age, tastes...both named Steven? 

Thank you for telling me to shut the fuck up more politely than warranted when I am annoying you with my shit.

Thank you for all the times we have mutually brow-wiped after our brushes with near-mortality (I'm way in the lead, dude). This includes the events of the last 10 years in total (right now). 

Thank you for your pragmatism and unique understanding and perspective on lots of things a lot of people haven't been challenged by.

Thank you for not chastising me for listening to the "Xanadu" soundtrack. Punishment by listening to Menudo's version of "I Was Made For Loving You" is good practice in Spanish should the kids be studying...they must be teenagers by now! Wonder how THAT's going during a quarantine. Luke is 20 and in his 1st apartment with 2 roomies. He's a clean freak and lives a few blocks away from Wrigley Field. Adulting is going exceptionally well thus far. Maintaining a 4.0 for his Presidential Scholarship which pays for most of DePaul University, where he's halfway done with a BFA in Film, Concentration in Editing with 2 minors, Digital TV Arts and Bizznezz (that might change). He has had the most beautiful, smart artsy int'l business girlfriend, Louise, 5 years. She's a stunning,tiny Phillipina he likes to put in the carts at the store. She's also still in Chicago.

Thank you for all of the opportunities to see you play and hug you awkwardly long.

Thank you for being so immensely, consistently critical though entertained.

Thank you for surrounding yourself with a beautiful family.

Thank you for being witty but a little slow on sarcasm. ("Czech, Please!")

Thank you for being one of the First Responders to all of my "Does every Guy?" Guy questions.

I have always been deeply respectful of your family and felt a kinship about your Dad, for sure. You know the whole story about my Dad we were close enough to feel one another's grief.

I never deserved any vitriol on social media, ever so childish, from a grown woman, when I was trapped in an Apple store, having a massive panic attack. 

Thanks for writing so much music which moves people so deeply, with all the Flaming Lips and by yourself. Yes, you are a musical genius, blah blah blah.


Thank you for surviving. Thank you for making many really good decisions. Thank you for inspiring so many people by being a nice person. 

I hope every dream you ever have that brings you joy comes true.
Remember that joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God.

I think out of all of the pictures of you, this one is my favorite because it was a dream come true.



Happy Birthday, Steven.

(((Miss ya.)))





No comments: